The purpose is to provide the common core competencies required by the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC as a condition of certification as a Registered Onsite Wastewater Practitioner (ROWP) and the competencies regarding the BC regulatory framework and fundamentals of onsite sewerage - identified by the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC for self declaration of sewerage competency by a P.Eng. or P.Geo.
Note that ASTTBC's requirements for ROWP certification include the common core competencies PLUS at least one of the Specialty Areas of Competency corresponding to the category(ies) of certification sought by the applicant. This course covers the common core. Subsequent courses cover the specialty competencies for Installation, Planning, Maintenance and Inspection. Applicants can pursue ROWP certification with just one of the specialty endorsements, or multiple categories. For example, to become a ROWP Installer, we recommend OS110 plus OS120 - Sewerage System Specification and Installation Standards. To achieve the planner endorsement, we recommend OS110, OS120 and OS130 - Onsite Sewerage Systems Design.
Common core occupational competencies prescribed by ASTTBC and EGBC, including:
- An in-depth look at the BC Sewerage System Regulation.
- An overview of the BC Sewerage System Standard Practice Manual.
- A detailed orientation to the critical standards of the SPM applicable to all fields of practice for on site sewerage.
- Role of the Ministry of Health and Regional Health Authorities.
- Role of the Engineers and Geoscientists of BC.
- Role of the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC.
- ASTTBC and EGBC practice guidelines for sewerage.
- ASTTBC and EGBC Code of Ethics.
- Effective business practices.
- Hazards to health and the environment.
- Principles of treatment and dispersal.
- Treatment and dispersal technologies.
- Ten online sessions, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6:30 - 9:00 pm, five weeks.
- The webinars are live and interactive, using ZOOM conferencing software.
- Audio options include our toll-free telephone conference call or voice-over-internet options.
- Instructor-led lecture with learning exercises, group discussion, review sessions.
- Learning resources are provided including digital files for:
- BC Sewerage System Regulation
- BC Sewerage System Standard Practice Manual
- ASTTBC Policies and Guidelines
- EGBC Policies and Guidelines
- Interpretive bulletins from the Ministry of Health
- Slide printouts and study notes.
- Extensive learning exercises, practice quizzes and self-study resources.
- Recordings of the sessions will be available for a limited time for your review (helpful if you miss a session!)
To register for this course please select the ADD TO CART button (above). Or, we can reserve your spot (pay later!) - just let us know.
If you require additional information, please don't hesitate to contact us. Call or email us directly, or use the contact form below.
Cancellations received at least 7 days prior to course date will result in a full refund. Cancellations received less than 7 days prior to the course are subject to a $200 administrative fee, with full reimbursement of the remaining balance. Substitutions of attendees is permitted up to and including the day of the course.
EQUIP Training may have to postpone or cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment, in which case EQUIP's liability is limited to a full refund of the registration fee.
Get in touch!
We value one-to-contact. Please don't hesitate to call or email us for discussion about your pathway to ROWP certification or your professional development needs.
We are happy to help.